[mlpack] pull request for CNN

Shangtong Zhang zhangshangtong.cpp at qq.com
Wed Feb 18 22:28:36 EST 2015

Hi,

I want to contribute toEssential Deep Learning Modules in GSoC 2015,
I want to start with CNN.

I implement some necessary components and a framewrok for CNN.
The framework for CNN is very similiar to FFNN, but I make some changes.
The network in FFNN is  connections, conns, conns, ….., conns
I extend it to  layers, conns, layers, conns ….. , layers
because I find original structure may lead to duplicate activations in layers in some complicate CNN.
And my CNN support 2-dim data, so a grey image can be used for input directly.

I also write a test to prove my CNN does work.
I implement LeNet1 on part of MNIST dataset(1000 training cases 100 testing cases)
and achieve 97% recoganization rate on the 100 testing cases.
LeNet1 is first referred in this paperhttp://yann.lecun.com/exdb/publis/pdf/lecun-90c.pdf
LeNet1 is a little complicate so I use some feature in c++14 when writing tests and
executing this test many comsume about 5 minutes.

I’m looking forward to any feedback and guide.

Best
Regards

Shangtong Zhang,
Third Year Undergraduate,