[mlpack] Fwd: Apply for the implementation of the QUIC-SVD collaborative filtering

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Mon Mar 24 12:03:07 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:45:32PM +0800, Wilson Cao wrote:
> Since in the past I attended in a cf competition, and the competition data
> is not the pure "rate", it is the record of the behavior of the users,like
> purchasing, adding to the cart,etc . It seems necessary that we can design
> the API to let other programmers to define what their "rate" are in the cf.

I already mentioned that the CF API itself must work with Armadillo
datatypes to prevent overhead.  If you want to be able to work with
non-numerical data, then we will have to create a layer to convert from
arbitrary labels to numerical data.  You can take a look at
src/mlpack/core/data/normalize_labels.hpp for an example in a similar
vein.

> Thanks for your detailed explanation. I certainly will upload my proposal
> to the Melange, I just can't get my hand dirty in the project until next
> week because of my exam this Sunday. Without trying to implement the
> algorithm, I worry that it would make my proposal very vulnerable. I will
> get my hand in the project as soon as I finish the exam.

I'm sorry to say, but the deadline for proposals was last Friday.

Ryan Curtin    | "You can think about it... but don't do it."
ryan at ratml.org |   - Sheriff Justice