[mlpack] GSoC '14 : Implement Adaboost

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Mon Mar 17 14:05:05 EDT 2014

Hello Ajay,

Thanks for your interest in the project.
> The idea also asks to implement some weak classifiers. I am not sure which classifiers these entail, other than Naive Bayes classifier.

There has been some talk about the AdaBoost project including weak classifiers. You can take a look at the mlpack list archives for some information: (be sure to take a look at the responses too):

https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2014-March/thread.html
https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2014-February/thread.html
> I'd also like to get my hands dirty on MLPack with some minor issues. Can the community please point me to some issue that I could solve to get familiar with mlpack as a beginner?

The best way to get started is to download and compile mlpack, and go through the tutorials; especially the parts of them that involve the C++ interfaces. That will help give you an idea of how the code is laid out and the code standards that are used: Then, you could take a look at the open bugs in the bug tracker (http://www.mlpack.org/trac/) and see if there is one that you find interesting. As pointed out by Ryan in this email there are not very many bugs with a beginner-level:

https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2014-March/000363.html

Let me know if I can clarify anything further or answer any more questions.