[mlpack] GSoC 2014 : Introduction and Interests

Anand Soni anand.92.soni at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 14:34:52 EDT 2014

Marcus,

I was talking about the following paper from Cornell University:

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~caruana/ctp/ct.papers/caruana.icml06.pdf

I want my implementations to be based on this paper and possibly some
other ideas. The paper points to some standard metrics too. I would
like to use some (or all) of them depending on the feasibility. Can
you have a look at the metrics and tell me if some of them are
irrelevant for us?

Also, I will look at the classifiers you have pointed me to. Thanks a lot!

Regards.

Anand Soni

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:24 PM, Marcus Edel <marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> [...]
>
> The following link list the currently available methods in mlpack:
>
> http://mlpack.org/doxygen.php
>
> So maybe it's a good idea to include some additional classifiers from shogun, weka, scikit, etc.
>
> http://scikit-learn.org/stable/supervised_learning.html#supervised-learning
> http://www.shogun-toolbox.org/page/features/
> http://weka.sourceforge.net/doc.dev/weka/classifiers/Classifier.html
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcus
>
> On 10 Mar 2014, at 17:56, Anand Soni <anand.92.soni at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Marcus and Ryan,
>>
>> I was studying on bench-marking and performance analysis of machine
>> learning algorithms and came across an interesting idea in a research
>> paper.
>>
>> Suppose we need to compare 'n' algorithms for performance. (I need
>> more information about the algorithms that will be involved in this
>> project). Also, suppose I have 'k' performance metrics. Obviously we
>> must not infer anything by looking at an algorithm's performance based
>> on just one metric.
>>
>> For example, in one of my projects where I did sentiment analysis
>> using ANNs (artificial neural networks), I got a good accuracy while
>> the precision/recall measures were not in good figures. This means
>> there is no "best algorithm". It all depends on the metrics used.
>>
>> So, one of the things that I propose for this project is that we
>> implement, say, k metrics and perform a bootstrap analysis for the
>> given algorithms over these k metrics. By this, we will have a good
>> idea about how probable is it for an algorithm to perform "well" given
>> various metrics.
>>
>> I have not yet decided on the metrics to use, but I am working on
>> that. I would like to have comments and feedback on the idea. Also, it
>> would be great if you can tell me the algorithms/tools that we will be
>> comparing for performance in the project. I can give more rigorous
>> details in the proposal.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> Anand Soni

>>> There are lots of papers on dual-tree algorithms but the paper you
>>> linked to is (to my knowledge) the only one that tries to describe
>>> dual-tree algorithms in an abstract manner.  Here are some links to
>>> other papers, but keep in mind that they focus on particular algorithms
>>> and often don't devote very much space to describing exactly what a
>>> dual-tree algorithm is:
>>>
>>> A.G. Gray and A.W. Moore. "N-body problems in statistical learning."
>>> Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (2001): 521-527.
>>>
>>> A.W. Moore.  "Nonparametric density estimation: toward computational
>>> tractability."  Proceedings of the Third SIAM International Conference
>>> on Data Mining (2003).
>>>
>>> A. Beygelzimer, S. Kakade, and J.L. Langford.  "Cover trees for nearest
>>> neighbor."  Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Machine