[mlpack] Mlpack project aspirant for GSOC 2014 : Implement tree types

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Sat Mar 8 05:54:51 EST 2014

Hello Siddhartha.

Welcome! and thanks for you interest.

There has been some talk about the project on the mailing list.

https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2014-March/thread.html
https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2014-February/thread.html

> What i could interpret from the idea' page is that it is about implementing various tree algorithm other than that which are part of mlpack .

The following mailing list post may be helpful to answer your question:

https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2014-March/000273.html

> It will be very nice of you if you guide me how to go about this project  and from where i could start and elaborate what i need to do .

Regarding where to start, the best way to get started is to download and compile mlpack, and go through the tutorials. That will help give you an idea of how the code is laid out and the code standards that are used:

http://www.mlpack.org/tutorial.html

If you have already gone through the mlpack tutorials and are familiar with mlpack, then you might consult the example tree type found in
src/mlpack/core/tree/example_tree.hpp (this is the API which all mlpack trees must implement).

Let us know if you have any more questions.