[mlpack] GSoC - Introduction and Area of Interest.

Tejas Nikumbh tejasnikumbh at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 10:39:45 EST 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Ryan Curtin <gth671b at mail.gatech.edu>wrote:

> No, a low difficulty does not mean it is not important.  Conversely, I
> see implementation of trees as very important (however, my perspective
> is biased because I do research on trees as my job..

Cool! Thanks a lot for that. You've piqued my enthusiasm. I'll now be
working enthusiastically towards formulating a good proposal for this
project.I plan to do clean code template implementation of KD Tree before
GSoC to show you my abilities. Would that be good? Or do you have something
else which could possibly be better/ more relevant?

The best way to get started is to download and compile mlpack, and go
> through the tutorials; especially the parts of them that involve the C++
> interface.  That will help give you an idea of how the code is laid out
> and the code standards that are used.

I tried compiling mlpack but there is an error. I have boost 1_55_0
installed and have included it in the standard path. Also, I have set the
BOOST_ROOT variable in the CMake options but then too the CMake gives me an
error like : -

Unable to find the requested Boost libraries.

  Boost version: 1.55.0

  Boost include path: /home/tejas/code/boost_1_55_0

  The following Boost libraries could not be found:

          boost_random

  No Boost libraries were found.  You may need to set BOOST_LIBRARYDIR to
the
  directory containing Boost libraries or BOOST_ROOT to the location of
  Boost.

Same error with boost_program_options
and boost_unit_test_framework

Am I doing something wrong here? Please guide.

For the tree project, be sure to take a close look at the code in
> src/mlpack/core/tree/, because those are the implementations of the
> binary space tree (which is a generalization of a kd-tree) and the cover
> tree.  Note the templatization and genericity of the trees.

Sure, I've started looking into the source. and would produce a skeleton
sample code based on what I've followed. Do let me know if you have some
kind of sample in mind that you think could demonstrate my abilities.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.

--
Tejas Nikumbh,
Fourth Year Undergraduate,