[mlpack] how to get mlpack version

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Mon Jan 6 11:30:52 EST 2014

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 12:07:39PM -0500, Ryan Curtin wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 12:31:10PM +0100, Giampaolo Bellini wrote:
> > Dear all
> >
> >   I'm using latest mlpack on linux for neighbor search
> >
> >   I wonder if there is a way to retrieve the library version in order to
> > show it in the about box of my application...
> >
> >      thanks a lot
> >
> >              Giampaolo
>
> Hello Giampolo,
>
> At the moment, the best way to find that information is to look in one
> of the header files distributed with mlpack (like mlpack/core.hpp).
>
> That isn't a very good solution, though, so I have opened a ticket [1].
> What I'm planning to do over the next couple of days is add a
> '--version' option to each mlpack executable that will tell you the
> version of mlpack, and also a library function that will return the
> version as a string (i.e. "1.0.7").
>
> Unfortunately, that won't be available until the next release, so
> looking in mlpack/core.hpp will have to suffice for now.  I'm hoping to
> release 1.0.8, which will contain this functionality, in the next few
> weeks (I have a few other things to add first).

Hello Giampolo,

I wanted to let you know that the mlpack version is now available in
each executable with the --version option and also through C++ with the
mlpack::util::GetVersion() function and the __MLPACK_VERSION_MAJOR,
__MLPACK_VERSION_MINOR, and __MLPACK_VERSION_PATCH macros.

Hopefully that is what you needed.  This is available now in subversion
trunk and will be in mlpack 1.0.8, which should be released today, or
tomorrow, or the day after...

Ryan Curtin    | "Plot is a primitive vulgarity in literature."
ryan at ratml.org |   - Balph Eubank