[mlpack] mlpack 1.0.10 released

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Fri Aug 29 15:22:13 EDT 2014

Hello there,

Shortly after the release of 1.0.9 it was noticed that the performance
of nearest-neighbor search had slowed significantly.  Some amount of
digging and derivation ultimately resulted in a fix which I've
backported and released as 1.0.10.  There are also a couple other little
fixes.

The new version can be downloaded from http://www.mlpack.org/, or
directly from

  http://www.mlpack.org/files/mlpack-1.0.10.tar.gz

A full list of changes (there are only a few), from HISTORY.txt:

 * Bugfix for NeighborSearch regression which caused very slow
   allknn/allkfn. Speeds are now restored to approximately 1.0.8 speeds,
   with significant improvement for the cover tree (#365).

  * Detect dependencies correctly when ARMA_USE_WRAPPER is not being
    defined (i.e., libarmadillo.so does not exist).

  * Bugfix for compilation under Visual Studio (#366).

In the next handful of weeks, Marcus and I will get the benchmarks for
1.0.10 working and published to the website (the process takes weeks
because there are many benchmarks and they are run on large datasets).

Barring the discovery of any other huge bugs that warrant immediate
fixes, the next release will be 1.1.0 (I mentioned this in the 1.0.9
announcement, but then I was wrong).  There will probably be some
reverse compatibility breakage, but a guide will be provided on what has
changed and how to transition.

Ryan Curtin    |
ryan at ratml.org | First there was darkness; then came the strangers.