[mlpack] Google Summer of Code 2014 announcement

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Mon Apr 21 15:27:45 EDT 2014

Dear all,

The list of accepted Google Summer of Code projects has been posted at
<url> and we are proud to announce that five students have been accepted
to work on a wide range of interesting projects this summer!

Here is the list of students, the names of their projects, and links to
their project proposals:

Siddharth Agrawal - Collaborative filtering package improvements
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/siddharth950/5724160613416960

Sumedh Ghaisas - Collaborative filtering package improvements
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/sumedhghaisas/5668600916475904

Udit Saxena - Implementation of Multi-Class AdaBoost Algorithm
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/udbhavsaxena/5700735861784576

Andrew Wells - Optimization of tree-traversal in mlpack
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/andrew_wells_94/5750085036015616

Anand Soni - Improvement of automatic benchmarking system
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/anandsoni/5747976207073280

If you are interested in any of the projects, please feel free to talk
directly to the students or mentors, or send an email to the mailing
list, or come hang out with us on IRC.

Welcome everyone, and let's make sure we all have an amazing summer!  To
all students, feel free to introduce yourself.

The community bonding period has just begun.  During this time, students
get to know their mentors, read documentation, and get up to speed to
begin working on their projects.  Many of the students have already
begun this process.  We are planning a quick kick-off meeting in IRC,
but we are distributed around very many timezones so we will use Doodle
to vote on a time:

http://doodle.com/k3rasykubbyenchx

In the meeting we can briefly introduce ourselves and will give a brief
summary of what is expected from students and mentors and how we should
proceed.

Please join us in #mlpack on IRC (freenode.net)
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=mlpack .

If you cannot make it, IRC logs are (sort of) available at
http://www.mlpack.org/irc/logs.html.  This is still being worked on and
will improve in the next few days...

On May 19, the Summer of Code officially begins and students will start
working on their projects.

Thanks,

The mlpack GSoC 2014 mentors
Ryan Curtin, Marcus Edel, and Ajinkya Kale

--
Ryan Curtin    | "I can't believe you like money too.  We should
ryan at ratml.org | hang out."  - Frito