[mlpack] mlpack compile error on mac os 10.5.8

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Mon Jun 24 16:00:17 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 08:22:04AM +0800, Guangjian(Grayson) Tian wrote:
> Hi, all, I want build mlpack on mac os 10.5.8 and installed boost, libxml2
> and armadillo using sudo port install boost, libxml2, armadillo. And my gcc
> version is 4.1. The following is the information I got when I compiled it.
> Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot.
>
> chen-ludemacbook-pro:build chenludew$ cmake ../
> -- Armadillo HDF5 support is enabled.
> -- Boost version: 1.53.0
> -- Found the following Boost libraries:
> --   program_options
> --   unit_test_framework
> -- Boost version: 1.53.0
> -- Found the following Boost libraries:
> --   random
> -- Could NOT find Doxygen (missing:  DOXYGEN_EXECUTABLE)
> CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:270 (message):
>   txt2man not found; man pages will not be generated.
>

> -- Configuring done
> -- Generating done
> -- Build files have been written to:
> /Users/chenludew/Professional/mlpack-1.0.6/build
> chen-ludemacbook-pro:build chenludew$ make
> [  1%] Building CXX object
> src/mlpack/CMakeFiles/mlpack.dir/methods/det/dtree.cpp.o
> /Users/chenludew/Professional/mlpack-1.0.6/src/mlpack/methods/det/dtree.cpp:149:
> warning: unused parameter 'maxLeafSize'
> /Users/chenludew/Professional/mlpack-1.0.6/src/mlpack/methods/det/dtree.cpp:
> In member function 'double mlpack::det::DTree::PruneAndUpdate(double,
> size_t, bool)':
> /Users/chenludew/Professional/mlpack-1.0.6/src/mlpack/methods/det/dtree.cpp:525:
> error: no matching function for call to 'min(volatile double, const
> double&)'
> make[2]: *** [src/mlpack/CMakeFiles/mlpack.dir/methods/det/dtree.cpp.o]
> Error 1
> make[1]: *** [src/mlpack/CMake

Hello Guangjian,

I do not have a copy of OS X 10.5.8 to test with (what I have is 10.7.5,
which mlpack appears to compile fine with).  Based on my best guess, I
have written and attached a patch that may work for you.

If it does not, perhaps you can try upgrading to a different system?  We
can go back and forth with patches until we get it to work, too, but
that could potentially take some time to get right (unless the patch I
have attached works and is the only necessary one).

Ryan Curtin       | "I was misinformed."
ryan at igglybob.com |   - Rick Blaine