[mlpack] linker error in mlpack installation

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Tue Dec 3 11:20:43 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 03:10:28PM +0100, Gilles Barges wrote:
> hello, I'm new here. Using mlpack on Mac OSX 10.7
> It's a nice piece of code (talking about mlpack :-)
>
> Some month ago, I discovered mlpack (1.0.6), installed it and began to use it in my softwares.
>
> Installation was not easy. The 'make' command stopped on a lot of linker unresolved in libmlpack.dylib.
>
> The unresolved symbols were :
> _wrapper_ddot_
> _wrapper_dgels_
> _wrapper_dgemm_
> _wrapper_dgemv_
> .../...
> _wrapper_dsyrk_
>
> all of these are referenced from blas or lapack functions.
>
> if commenting the line
> #define ARMA_USE_WRAPPER
> in armadillo_bits/config.hpp
> the unresolved are now :
> _ddot_
> _dgels_
> .../...
>
> It was some months ago and .  I . found . a . workaround.
> I'm sure because I'm using mlpack since !
> (that is, I could run the installer 'make all install' to the end)
>
> Today, I'd like to install mlpack 1.0.7 , because I need some new functionnality.
> And again, 'make' breaks on the same unresolved :-(
>
> WHAT THE HELL DID I HACK TO PUT IT RIGHT ?
> I can't remember what I did !
>
> Please, would somebody be nice to avoid me solve this problem _again_ ?

Hello Gilles,

Good to hear you are finding mlpack useful.

A related ticket is here:

http://trac.research.cc.gatech.edu/fastlab/ticket/260

In that ticket, the location of Armadillo was being specified for CMake
by hand with -D ARMADILLO_LIBRARY=... and -D ARMADILLO_INCLUDE_DIR=...
but the problem was that the ARMADILLO_LIBRARY should be set to the
exact path of libarmadillo.dylib and not the directory it's contained
in.  So that may be something to check.

My best guess is that the linker is not properly linking against
Armadillo.  Can you send a copy of the CMakeCache.txt file and the
location of libarmadillo.dylib, as well as the actual output?  That'll
make it easier to dig to the bottom of it.

Ryan Curtin       | "And they say there is no fate, but there is: it's
ryan at igglybob.com | what you create." - Minister