[mlpack] google summer of code [GSoC]

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Tue Apr 9 23:19:14 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 09:04:59PM -0600, Daniel Bell wrote:
> oh ok thank you, I guess at my current level it is just outside my
> reach.  I am in my first algorithm course.  could you recommend
> something similar that might be more in my current skill set?

If you are deadset on doing statistical machine learning implementation
and none of the other less machine-learning-y projects are appealing to
you, I suggest that your best bet is learning C++ and a fairly simple
machine learning method (maybe decision trees of some sort -- which are
different than the dual-tree algorithms I mentioned earlier; or maybe
some rather simple nonlinear dimensionality reduction method such as
IsoMap or LLE).  Keep in mind that mlpack is looking for fast
algorithms, so the off-the-shelf IsoMap algorithm (for example) may not
be as asymptotically fast as some more recently published improvement on
the algorithm (in the case of IsoMap I am not certain if one exists).

--
Ryan Curtin       | "I'm going to be on television!"
ryan at igglybob.com |   - Sara Goldfarb